Mother’s Day, a special day for a very special someone. That person who brought you into this world with an atmosphere with considerably less CO2 floating around than today.
And a special someone who probably agrees with you that we should avoid needlessly emitting inordinate amounts of CO2 for an annual celebration if we can make smarter, more environmentally conscious consumer choices without draconian sacrifices.This chart by Stistista shows the most popular 2017 Mother’s Day gift categories. Green Blizzard provides a POV from purely a carbon footprint, (CO2 emissions) perspective for each category with a little dry humor spinkled in.
The world today is quick to take a simple, genuine concept like setting aside a day to celebrate our mothers and quickly commercialize it into a fossil fuel intensive bonanza.
- How to make it a CARBON FREE MOTHER’S DAY
- Special Outing – Terrific, as long as you minimize the amount of fuel consumed getting everyone there. Walk, or bike.
- Gift Card/certificate – Favor paper certificates over plastics, given that the plastic is fossil fuel based,
- Flowers – Buy local, many flowers are shipped long distances in refrigerated containers, belching diesel and plumes of CO2along the way.
- Greeting Card – Oh come on, really! Rather than rely on someone else’s creativity to express your heartfelt thoughts, DIY. Write your own note or simple verbalize it followed by a long hug. Hugs are CO2-Free
- Jewelry – AVOID – The ratio of tons of unearthed material to recover that petite gem and the energy used by mining it is catastrophic to the environment and the miner’s long-term health.
- Candy/sweets – Everything in moderation.
- Cosmetics – Celebrate her natural beauty, buy some organic soap instead.
- Event Tickets – Terrific, as long as you minimize the amount of fuel consumed getting everyone there.
- Consumer Electronics – Think through the probability of long-term use – will be it collecting dust bunnies soon?. There’s a lot of mining of rare materials that’s embodied into those microcircuits. A Fitbit will get her walking, a practically CO2 free activity.
- Books and CDs – Only if it is a download. The difference between the embodied energy of paper vs. electronic is dramatic.
- Houseware or Gardening Tools – Mother’s Day Gardening Gift Ideas – Top 10 Gift Ideas For Your Special Gardener
Call you Mom early in the day, express a few heartfelt thoughts of appreciation for all that she has done for you and you’re golden All MOST Moms want is a little genuine appreciation, and preferably not in a CO2 intensive commercial, store-bought form.
A CO2 Light Perspective On Each Of These Gift Categories